Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

New snus user with a few questions

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Miscellaneous about Snus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CHIRP STAR

Local time: 6:05 AM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:42 am    Post subject: New snus user with a few questions

Howdy kiddos. I have been a cigarette smoker since I was 15 (currently 23). Tobacco has me by the nuts. I have never been able to quit for more than a month. I have found, however, that its advantages far outweigh the disadvantages for me; I am a very spazzy fella and it sets me on the smooth and level. I also have Tourette's Syndrome, and find that nicotine makes my tics disappear!

Anyhow, I found out about Snus recently on the internet and was dying to try it, so I ordered four different kinds of portion snus from the net. I ordered Grovsnus white, General white, Ettan Original, and Röda Lacket Vit. They just arrived yesterday.

Let me tell you, I am in love! Having a pouch of snus in my lip, I feel as calm as cattle. I settle into nice rhythmic breathing, my tics dry up, and I feel right as rain. Nicotine is so sublime.

Anyhow, I am still figuring out how to consume this stuff. I have never used any sort of oral tobacco before. Here are my questions?

1) Where precisely does one put it in the mouth? I stick it between my upper lip and gum, I suppose, but I'm hoping a helpful diagram exists somewhere to show me precisely where it belongs.
2) Am I supposed to generate so much spit? If I put the snus way up above my lip, I can't taste it, but I salivate. If I put it a little further down, I can taste it (it's delicious!) but I salivate even more. I want to taste it (that's the reason for so many flavors, right?), but I seem to be generating torrents of spit. I keep reading that snus is not supposed to make you spit but clearly this is the case for me. Does this go away with time?
3) Do I swallow the spit or spit it out? I have always heard that swallowing tobacco juices is super nauseating. So far I have been unwilling to risk it.

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Lovin' that snus!
carotevi

Local time: 3:05 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:

I can relate to quitting smoking and snus helping with the problem. I started smoking when I was about 12 and I am now in my late 40's. Quit smoking now when you are 23. You think it's hard to quit at 23 but just wait until you are almost 50 and then try Wink

I am responding to your questions below each one. Keep in mind that these are only my thoughts. Others may have better ideas than I do. I guess I should say that I have been using snus going on two years. I have used regular dip and don't confuse snus with dip. The two are as different as apples and oranges....well almost haha.

1) Where precisely does one put it in the mouth? I stick it between my upper lip and gum, I suppose, but I'm hoping a helpful diagram exists somewhere to show me precisely where it belongs.

Put it under the upper lip in front of your mouth. Not dead center of the front but offset a little to one of the sides. Imagine your two upper front teeth...put your finger between those two teeth...now count over about two teeth to one side.....X marks (my) the spot.

2) Am I supposed to generate so much spit? If I put the snus way up above my lip, I can't taste it, but I salivate. If I put it a little further down, I can taste it (it's delicious!) but I salivate even more. I want to taste it (that's the reason for so many flavors, right?), but I seem to be generating torrents of spit. I keep reading that snus is not supposed to make you spit but clearly this is the case for me. Does this go away with time?

Not sure what to tell you.... If I put it to the far side of my mouth it makes me want to spit more than if I put it more in front. If you are putting it in front and still want to spit a lot then I am not sure what to say.

3) Do I swallow the spit or spit it out? I have always heard that swallowing tobacco juices is super nauseating. So far I have been unwilling to risk it.

I am not saying snus can't make you sick but I never have got sick. American dip WILL make you sick if you swallow. My guess is that is what you have heard about in the past. In my youth I did the old dip and chewing tobacco thing and got sick a few times. Stuff like skol and cope will make you sicker than a dog if you swallow it. Snus has never made me sick and I never ever spit.

Hope that helps
phetish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New snus user with a few questions

CHIRP STAR wrote:

Thanks in advance for answering my questions. Lovin' that snus!

Hi There -

1 - personally, i use portions and put it under my lower lip on the left side, just far enough back that when i smile or bare my teeth, it can't be seen. Keep it along/below the gum line too.

2 - When i first started using snus, i noticed that when I "upper deck" it (put the pouch under my upper lip) i generate TONS of spit. when I "lower deck" it (put it under my lower lip like i explained above) i generate a lot less spit, and the flavor lasts A LOT longer.

3 - I swallow my spit. i've never had any problems except for one time when a can of snus went bad on me. that made me a little sick, but it passed in about 5 minutes. I'd never had snus go bad, so i wasn't sure what "sour" snus would taste like. Once it happens, you'll be able to recognize it pretty quickly.

Hope this helps!

derek
bought but untasted: Mocca Mint, Catch Dry Licorice/Cassis Menthol, Metropol Lakritsrot, Revel
Nickoteam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject:

CHIRP STAR,

Switching to snus is a great choice! I switched to american stuff almost 10 years ago to quit smoking (after 20 years!) and then switched to snus 5 years ago as soon as it first became available on the net.

To answer your questions:

1. There are no rules. Experiment and find the place that is most comfortable for you. Under your upper lip will generate less "juice." Also, it's a good idea not to always put it in the same spot to reduce your chances of oral cancer -- more of issue with american snuff, but still not a bad idea. So one day do upper left, the next upper right but again there are no rules.

2. At first you will generate more spit, this will go away with time. There are a few things you can do to reduce the spit. Most importantly, when you put a pouch in DON'T PLAY WITH IT. No poking it with your toungue, no chewing (it's not gum!), don't move it around -- put in a portion and leave it alone. Put it under your upper lip. Finally, try white portions if you haven't already, these are less juicey.

3. You can swallow the juice. It might not be pleasant at first but you'll get used to it. Any nausea should be minor and will go away. Remember your first cigarettes? They weren't so nice either!

Good luck,

Nick
sockwars

Local time: 5:05 PM

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject:

Swallowing juices increases chances of panreatic cancer, so I try not to. I'm OK as I use mainly Catch Dry so I have very little 'interaction' with juices.

I agree with the changing places each time. I alternate each usage which at least makes me *feel* less prone to oral cancer Razz

moisty

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:

I found the pouches to run with juice far too much, the loose snus hardly runs at all, but does take a little practice at first! Wink