Snus Forum Forum Index
Snus Forum - All about Swedish Snus

Importing into USA

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Snus Forum Forum Index -> Import Snus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carotevi

Local time: 2:18 AM

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Importing into USA

It's no big deal to import snus for personal use. I do not know the exact import laws but I have never had any problems.

The most snus I have had shipped to me via UPS is five rolls plus five cans (55 cans). The most I have had shipped to me via US postal is 35 cans. The most I have carried through an airport is 25 cans. I have never had any problems with those amounts.

The person receiving is billed about $5 per package for customs by UPS and about .50 per roll by the US postal service.

Those are my experiences but I cannot say for sure how others may be treated.

I think that a few individual states have their own laws. I think a few states would stop the package but I think the issues would be limited to only four or five states.
MortenGj

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:

I'm currently living in the US and have ordered 20 cans. I just hope that they dont stop them at the border or something like that. I wil come back to you with the result!
By the way: I'm living in California, so if any others wants to try to import, just pm me or send me a mail. (mortgj -AT- gmail.com )

-MortenGj
carotevi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:40 pm    Post subject:

Dont worry they wont get stopped. I have been buying and getting it in AL for going on two years now. No problem
kb3edk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject:

No problems for me importing into the USA.

I took about a dozen cans back into the US via air from vacation in Sweden this past summer, without question.

Also, I've ordered several times from buysnus.com, each order getting larger (last was 25 cans)... I've never once been billed or taxed, the envelope just shows up at my door with the very clear customs declaration saying "Swedish snus" on the side Cool
bucho121

Local time: 7:18 PM

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: to usa

I've been bringing snus into the states from sweden for years and never have been asked what it was. I had a friend who was asked what it was at an airport once and when he said it was tobacco and showed them the label in swedish on the bottom of the tin there was no problem. I've shipped it here via two or three online places, and there's never been a problem. You'll find that often it's shipped faster than ordering something from within the states. How good is snus!
phetish

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject:

i've ordered from net and BuySnus. neither have had any problems with customs.

I get my mail at a local Mailbox rental shop, and i've gotten a couple quizical looks when i pick up this oddly shaped package that has the "weirdest smell".

no one really seems to care. no taxes, no duties, no attention at all. Even shipping into known tax crazy states llike California and Washington.

i've pretty much quit worrying about it.

derek
bought but untasted: Mocca Mint, Catch Dry Licorice/Cassis Menthol, Metropol Lakritsrot, Revel
blizzardbeast

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I've had no problems shipping to Arizona. Maybe I will in the summer with the heat, but I will try to avoid that by ordering enough for summer before it gets really hot.
Nickoteam

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I just ordered 60 cans from net, as I've been doing for years, and for the first time I just got hit with import duty!!! $120!!

net uses UPS and I wonder if this had something to do with it. I had to pay the driver on delivery. Next time I'll give buysnus a shot since they use the post office. I've ordered from them twice and no duty so far.

Since snus is getting more popular in the states, I wonder if the tax folks are starting to catch on to who the swedish suppliers are and flagging the packages?

Nick
carotevi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject:

Nickoteam wrote:

Since snus is getting more popular in the states, I wonder if the tax folks are starting to catch on to who the swedish suppliers are and flagging the packages?

Nick

WOW!

I received a package from net I think it was Oct 16th but if I am wrong on the date it was within a few days either way. I had 40 cans in the package. It came via UPS the same as your package did. I was not asked to pay any import duty.

So I would have to surmise that quantity was the "flag"?

How often do you order? How long had it been since you last ordered?

I found something that I think could be interesting while reading about USA customs duty.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/toolbox/publications/travel/internationalmail.ctt/internationalmail.doc

On page 5 it states:

"Note: Most personal shipments worth up to $200, and gift packages worth up to $100, will pass duty‑free as long as the recipient does not receive multiple packages in a single day whose cumulative value is more than these amounts."

Did your shipment go over the $200 value? Maybe the same 60 cans did not cost over $200 in the past and the prices went up? I know that 60 times say $3.20 = $192. Maybe you bought a few cans of that $5 snus and it pushed the total price over $200. If that is the case I guess I will watch how much I order at once from now on a little closer. Just an idea.
Nickoteam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject:

I usually order 3-4 times a year and fill up my freezer. I wasn't aware of the 200 dollar limit and I did go a bit over on this order. Next time I'll order a bit less and see if I get nailed again.

Thanks for the info!
Toren

Local time: 6:18 PM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject:

I've been ordering from California for two years and never had any problem with shipping by mail, the packages have all arrived unopened and with no Customs fees.
HOWEVER, I strongly recommend you never use UPS or FedEx for importing snus! First of all, because all UPS/FedEx packages go through a customs broker, you WILL be charged both duty and a "brokerage fee" of at least $5, sometimes as much as $25 (I don't know why there is a difference, it seems random). Also, this brokerage process can sometimes delay delivery by several days.
Bottom line: order by mail without fear; order by courier service at your own risk.